Riz au lait is a well loved dessert here in France – so popular you can buy it in ready made yoghurt sized cartons in different flavours – vanilla or rhum and raisin for example. My youngest loves this and it’s so easy to make it has become a staple in our household. Its a perfect dessert or after school snack!
- 180g short-grain rice (almost oval or round in shape)
- 1 litre milk
- 100g sugar
- 1 vanilla pod
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil and cook the rice in it for 3 minutes.
- Strain the rice
- Cut the vanilla pod lengthways and scrape out the seeds.
- Heat the litre of milk with the vanilla pod and the seeds
- When the milk come to the boil add the rice cook over a low/medium heat for 25 minutes stirring occasionally
- After 25 minutes add the sugar, mix well and continue cooking for another 5 minutes
- Remove vanilla pods, pour into pudding bowls and allow to cool