Petit Salé aux lentilles is a classic french dish from the Auvergne region dish using pork that has been salted by placing the cuts of pork in brine for up to 48hrs.
The meat in this dish is cured in salt so there should be no need to add salt to the dish. Several cuts can be used so it is up to what you prefer or what your butcher has – pork shoulder, ham shank or ham hock, pork belly etc
- 1kg salted pork
- 600g green lentils
- 5 carrots
- 1 large onion with 2 cloves
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 bouquet garni
- Soak the pork in cold water for 2 hours if necessary to remove excess salt
- Place the meat in a large saucepan and cover with cold water
- Add the onion studded with cloves, the 3 garlic cloves unpeeled, one carrot sliced in thick slices, the bouquet garni and pepper
- Cover the saucepan and cook the meat for 1hr30
- Rinse the green lentils under cold water and add to the pan along with the 4 remaining carrots diced in small squares
- Cook for another 30 minutes
- Rectify seasoning if necessary
- Serve in soup dishes – with some crusty bread.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.