Flammeküche is the Alsatian word for what is called a tarte flambée in french. It has a thin bread dough base with crème fraîche, fromage blanc, onions and smoked lardons. This Alsatian street food is very easy to make at home and is perfect as a light evening meal with some salad, or as a finger food or starter.
For the base you’ll need a bread dough, if you don’t feel up to making your own or don’t have the time you can buy a ready-made pizza base which works pretty well too or if you are in France you can buy a raw bread dough in your local boulangerie or supermarket.
- 500g bread dough
- 20cl crème fraîche
- 200g fromage blanc
- 2 onions
- 300g of lardons
- Rapeseed oil
- Salt, pepper and nutmeg
- Pre-heat oven to its hottest setting 250° – 270°
- Finely slice the onions and fry them gently over a low heat until they become translucent
- Do the same with the bacon
- Mix the crème fraîche, the fromage blanc with the pepper, nutmeg and salt (if using, the lardons may be salty enough!)
- Roll the dough as thinly as possible on a baking sheet
- Using a spatula, cover the dough evenly with the cream mixture
- Spread onions and lardons on top
- Cook in the oven for about 10 minutes, until the dough looks crispy
* You can add cheese or mushrooms etc. to your flammeküche if you wish 🙂
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.